Thursday, December 1, 2011

so much food: round 2

thanksgiving. I think my favorite holiday though it is kind of a push with easter...
But seriously thanksgiving is awesome in every way - friends, family, and food. 
The three best words really. 

We had peeps over in LA this year. I was in charge of dressing and dessert.  
For dessert I wanted to do something different but still fully fall-ish.  So I came up with an Apple and Pear Galette with a Rosemary Pecan Crumb.  

Oh what's a galette? Just a free form pie. AKA lets you get away with a bit of mess.
This one would have three parts: crust, filling, and crumb topping.


Crust
Ingredients:
1 cup of flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 stick of butter, 3 Tablespoons water
plus: 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, 1/8 cup chopped pecans, dash of cinnamon 

1. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor 

2. Cube the cold butter and add it in

3. With the processor on, add in water, slowly until it just comes together.
4. roll out and refrigerate until ready to use.


Crumb Topping 
Ingredients:
1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup chopped pecans, 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon sea salt, 2 Tablespoon butter, cubed

Mix it all together with a pastry cutter



Filling
Ingredients:
2 apples, 2 pears, juice of half a lemon, 1 Tablespoon flour, 2 Tablespoon brown sugar

Slice up the fruit and mix all together



Putting it together

When ready: roll out dough. 
Pour filling in middle. Fold up edges around, crimping together. 
There should be about an inch of fold all around. 
Pour crumb on top

Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and delicious. 



---

As for the dressing, I went with the good old chestnut dressing that is had every year in my house. See the GF Chestnut recipe from round 1 of so much food. This time I just used a loaf of ciabatta. 


And then we ate...
so much food. I'm still full. I think I will be until christmas.

xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment