Thursday, October 25, 2012

fall garland

the how-to on my fall garland:

Gather your supplies: I used sheets of felt in various colors, burlap, and some fall-ish printed fabrics.  

I also picked up some embroidery thread in a copper color, and made a pattern for the bunting on a piece of cardboard. Basically a triangle with a 1/2 inch longer base.


Next I cut out plenty of triangles and made some bows.  

For the bows I just used felt and pinking shears to cut out strips of 1 inch by 6 inches, and then smaller pieces of 1/2 inch by 2 inches and folded the edges in on the bigger piece, and wrapped the smaller piece around the middle, and sewed to secure. 


For the fabric bunting, I cut out two pieces and sewed the two long sides inside-out, and then flipped it right-side out to complete the top edge. 

For the felt and burlap I just used one layer and the pinking shears.


I then sewed each piece to the embroidery thread using a zig zag stich to catch the thread by placing the triangle on bottom and thread on top so I could make sure the thread was in the middle of the stich as I sewed. 


And done:


So get cracking and bunt up some fall decor!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment