Sunday, February 3, 2013

framing: pennies don't make the cut

Well I saw this on pinterst and wondered if it would indeed work.  

I didn't have any steel wool, but when googling around I found that pennies would work and give a blueish tint.  

This turned out to be untrue, but I did find a solution.

Originally, I combined 1/4 cup of ground coffee with about 1/2 cup of vinegar and all the pennies I had - let's say 33 cents worth.  I let it sit overnight, and then another night, and then a few more nights. 
Why so many nights? Because every time I tried to stain a piece of wood with it, it failed.  The pennies  had not produce the necessary reaction and so there was no staining happening. 

I decided I needed more metal so I looked around and found a handful of nails and added them to let sit overnight.

Ta-da! 

I totally nailed it! (get it?) But yes, the nails were enough react with the vinegar and produce a lovely dark stain.  I did two coats of it on the picture frame, letting it dry overnight in between coats.   I then sprayed it with two coats of mod-podge to protect it and let dry another 24 hours before calling it a day.

I really like the way it turned out:


Comparison:


A nice trick to jazz up some plain wood items.

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment