Sunday, March 10, 2013

a classic

There is a place in Durham called Dame's Chicken and Waffles.  
Yes, it's like Roscoe's, but maybe, please forgive me, better. 


Let's break it down.  Chicken and Waffles is composed of two parts: the chicken and the waffle.

The chicken is chicken.  It should be fried in a skillet, with some spice, and come out with some crunch.  Dame's has the basics covered.  The chicken is tasty, good old fried chicken.

Now the waffle, the waffle is where I think you really decide who makes the best chicken and waffles. Dame's shines on this point.  Their waffles are out of this world.  I had the original, and it was delicious and so fluffy.  

We went to Dame's for Lisa's birthday, and it was amazing. It's a very straightforward setup - there are combinations of different pieces of chicken, waffles, and flavored butters. And you get a side.  

I got the basic - a chicken breast, original waffle, maple butter, and a side of mac and cheese...


Thankfully, I was also able to taste basically everything else on the menu from what everyone else ordered:



First of all, everything was crazy delicious. And so filling. I got two meals out of my dinner and was painfully full after each eating. But I need to highlight three items on the menu (in this order): the gingerbread waffle, the greens, the grits.

Apparently, Dame's excels at the g's.  This gingerbread waffle is like the fluffiest piece of gingerbread cake, and their greens are perfectly cooked with a spicy kick. And the grits are soft and creamy, as they should be but so rarely are. 

I almost shouldn't be telling you any of this.  There is already a wait for this place, but it's so good, I can't keep it to myself.

So, the next time you are in Durham, check out Dame's.  
Just be sure to wear some loose pants and leave time for digestion.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment