Monday, May 6, 2013

oats and bananas

I can't believe it's almost been a month since I updated this thing.  I don't think I've ever had so few posts in a month. I'm sorry, life has been busy and stressful, an annoying combination to say the least.  But things are getting back to normal, so I'll be good again, I promise.  

Now, on to the important things:

I had a serious craving for bananas not too long ago and wanted to put them in everything -- cookies, sandwiches, anything.  And so, I came up with this recipe for coconut-banana oatmeal, it's (obviously) delicious and it's really great for when you have bananas in different stages of ripeness, since it uses ripe and firm bananas. 

Ingredients:

1/4 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup shredded coconut

A 15 oz can of coconut milk
*I used the coconut cream from Trader Joe's, it seems to have more coconut flavor*
*You can also substitute with regular milk if you you aren't into the coconut*
1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Pinch of nutmeg

1 cup of oats - old fashioned or steel cut please!
2 bananas - 1 sliced, and 1 ripe one mashed
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Step 1: Combine the pecans and coconut and toast lightly, ~2 mins in my toaster oven.  Watch it so it doesn't burn! While you are at it, slice up one banana and set aside. 
Step 2: In a saucepan combine the milk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. 
Step 3: Once at a boil, stir in the oats and let it return to a boil.  Then reduce the heat to medium.  Cook for 5 minutes for old fashioned oats, or until most of the liquid is absorbed. (You know, however soupy  you like your oatmeal). 

Step 4: Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla and the mashed banana. 

Step 5: Put some into your bowl and top with some sliced banana, pecans, and coconut and enjoy!
This recipe makes 2-3 servings depending on how much you eat.

More to come soon.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment